Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday, the 13th

I should have known the day wasn't gonna go all good the moment I fell down the stairs. My bottom is getting blacker every day still. But first things first...
So I left my house around 19:30 for the airport on Wednesday evening. Now, it's Friday morning (very early) and I am typing this as I just arrived in my new room in Rotary Intl House. I think I will later discover that pretty much all of my flat mates will be Asian, but more on that some other time.
So the flight from Frankfurt to Singapore was 11 hours long. And it was BAD! Lufthansa decided to piss all the passengers off by not having in-seat screens, and you can only watch 2 (or 1 or none) movies on the screens that are scarcely scattered around the plane. They showed 'The Women', which I had seen days before with Elsa (it's crap too, btw) and some movie called Ghost Town, of which I only saw half cuz I luckily fell asleep for 2 hrs (more or less). (I'm actually surprised I'm still up and not really tired...)
Anyway, I had a window seat. And next to me a young Norwegian boy with his mom, whom I first figured to be French for some reason, until I saw their passports. However, they didn't speak much English so asking them to let me go pee was a challenge itself. Also, that boy kept bumping into me when he turned in his (very restless) sleep. So I was very annoyed, watching 2 Disney movies on my iPod and 'Changeling' on the Mac. (The movie is alright, but also depressing. I don't think Jolie will get the Oscar)
So I finally make it off that plane, after 2 crappy movies and 2 crappy meals (dinner and breakfast... it was a red eye flight) and I arrive in Singapore. I come out of the gate and have no idea where I have to go. Luckily, some lady could tell me I had to go to Terminal 3, where I got my borading ticket to Perth, a coffee and a cheesecake. Singapore airport is nice cuz there's showers, a butterfly garden and even a movie theater, which I sadly discovered too late. But I finished SnowWhite while waiting for the plane to board (which it did half an hour late, as usual)
Singapore Airlines is SO much better than Lufthansa! They have in-seat screens, cool Asian food, tons of extras and bout 80 movies to choose from. So I managed to watch 2 movies on the 5 hours flight to Perth: High School Musical 3 (such a feel good movie - I love that stuff) and the Duchess (again, a rather depressing film - I guess I had it coming).
Anyway, I FINALLY arrive at Perth at 1.40 AM on Friday, the 13th. I should have seen it coming. Getting through the passport checks was pretty easy to my surprise and I also didn't have to wait for my bag for too long. So I come out and look for the guy who is supposed to pick me up. It was only after I got myslef a bottle of water that I saw him standing way at the back with a mini sign saying Curtin Uni. He was nice and all but not very talkative. He was actually on the phone for the entire HOUR I had to wait there, trying to speak to someone, who was able to welcome me and get me my room keys. After an hour he finally got someone woken up. Later they told me that several poeple had to be door-banged to get out of bed and get my into my room.
So finally this idiot at the airport puts me in a cab (a normal cab) and tells the driver Kurajong Village (which is where my hall is - kinda like the village at Lufbra I'd imagine). He also gave me a map (among other useful stuff in my welcome package) and told me to show it to the driver IN CASE he got lost. The second we get out of the airport, the driver asks me where that Kurjong Thingie is. I of course have NO idea and have to listen to him rant about the guy not giving me any adress. I'm getting really pissed off back there cuz I haven't even talked to my parents. And when I finally got reception, the phonecall with my mom took all of my credit. -.-
Anyway, the cab driver is TOTALLY lost, and keeps asking me where to go. HTF am I supposed to know!? Then we accidentally (and luckily) come across a security car, which then guides us to the Rotary Intl House, where 3 very tired young people apologize for not picking me up, telling me that no one knew I was coming tonight. (I felt very welcomed)
Anyway, they only make me quickly sign a paper, get me my keys, a set of pillow, blanket, sheets and towel and leave me alone. By that time I was in tears. What a crappy start!
Anyway, now that I took a shower I feel slightly better but still not great. Actually, feel like going back home. But I'm telling myself: from here on it can only get better.
I'm still in my towel now and should really go to bed (it's 5.15 AM right now). At 15:30 tomorrow I have my introducionary meeting where I will get my student card and other hopefully useful things. Hopefully I can sleep and won't be woken up by poeple marching around early morning. My room is right next to the kitchen and the doors at kinda thin so I think I might as well be woken up early. As many people know, I have a light sleep (sometimes).
So this was my travel story for today... More will follow tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment