Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Mall And Other Things

The good thing about BBQs in new places is that you get to know people that you don't already know. Which is also the whole purpose of going to a new place. I think I already got too much sun (even tho there hasn't been much yet) but I'm just bullshitting here...
So yesterday I met a bunch of people at the BBQ that took place right outside my hall. A lot of them were Internationals like me and I got into conversations bout Disney, roller coasters and Heidelberg (Chloe, a girl from the states had been to Heidelberg before and told me how much she loved Germany). I played some beach volleyball, convincing some others that I played well (Elsa might like to hear that), had chicken (which tasted weird for some reason) and met people from all over the place including the USA, Singapore, Canada, Norway, Peru, Pakistan and Tasmania (cool, eh?).
Ok, I have a writer's block so all I babble here might not make sense so much. But after having met Chloe, and we got along well, we decided to go to the mall together. I forgot the name of the mall already but supposedly it's somewhere in Carussel or something. The Bus no. 34 goes there and it takes only bout 15 mins. The mall's quite big with a huge food area respectively. There's all kinds of stores, ranging from clothing to shoes, over souvernirs to nail salon. We just walked around, looking here and there and some stores do sound familiar. I guess globalization has gotten the best of the world. At Singapore airport there was even an Accessorize and in the mall we found a Targets shop, one of the popular American discounters.
One store we liked the most. It's called Valleygirl and has cool rather Bohemian clothes. I already bought a black shirt with a nice flower on it. It wasn't that expensive, but I get scared all the time cuz prices here seem immensly high (I paid 10.20 Dollars for some Chinese food). But I keep remindind myself to divide the amount by two which brings me to Euros, and then it's not so much afterall.
We spent about 3.5 hours at the mall and had some laughs. Chloe really is a cool girl and a bit of a tomboy like me. We're both into Disney which will bring us together for quite a few movie nights I might imagine. She also lives pretty close, in the same hall actually, just in a different block bout 30 seconds away. There's about 3 blocks for Rotary International house with flats ranging from number 1 to 14 I think. I'm still pretty clueless about most of the things, but I found out that it's actually 5 guys in my flat and 3 girls. So 3 American dudes, 1 Chinese guy and 1 Malay, then 2 Chinese girls and me. I guess I stick out a little since I'm the only girl that talks. ;)
Kurrajong village (the area where I live and which consists of about 3 halls I think) is pretty cool. Lots of green and cool looking trees. We have a volleyball pit and a BBQ place, a common room with a big TV, a pool table, a fussball table and a ping pong table (all the basics). There's crows everywhere and they sound like crying babies when the scream. I will record the sound at some point and show it to you but it confused the hell out of me the first time I heard them.
Kurrajong is still pretty far away from all the faculties and lecture halls. I hope my classes aren't so early so I have enough time to walk to my classes every day. I don't know yet which ones I'll be taking, which is making me pretty nervous, but I hope I can sort all that out by next week. Afterall, classes don't start until the 23rd and I have a whole week, called O week, full of introductions and events to get to know the campus and the poeple here.
This entry didn't really make any sense to me, but I hope you will find some in there. I just had a lot of things to mention and so it's a bit out of order. I will probably be writing a lot in the first couple of weeks, cuz that's when all the stuff happens. Hopefully I can remember everything and update the blog regularly. I tend to get pretty lazy sometimes, as most of you people know.
Until the next entry....

No comments:

Post a Comment