Thursday, February 26, 2009

Somebody In Kansas City Loves Me

So Wednesday was my second day of classes. My one and only class I had that day didn't start until two o'clock but it was gonna be 3 hours long (the longest class of my life). So I was able to sleep in and really take my time getting ready in the morning/afternoon. Luckily, the building was pretty close to my place so it only took me 10 minutes to get there this time (as opposed to 20) but it took me another 10 minutes to find the entrance of the building. I still don't know the shortcuts and all yet so I guess once I do I will be able to leave my house 5 minutes before classes start and still be one time. The room was pretty full but the lecture itself wasn't too big. But they had those stupid plastic chairs with the folding tables with only go about half way so sitting in those exposed to be rather difficult and uncomfortable. Especially when you have to spend 3 hours in them.
The class is called 'Tradition of Documentary' which covers the history and development of the documentary, the different kinds that exist and the relationship of the producer or director with the audience, meaning how much truth and authenticity the documentary actually has and what sort of things alter such. It was very interesting and I think I will really enjoy that course but really... a 3 hour lecture is way too long (even with the 15 minute break we got). I guess it's so long because they show us pieces of documentaries in every lecture to make the point. So YAY... free TV watching. I was actually first gonna take 'History of Screen Language' which is about films in the same sort of manner, but that was full so I took the documentary one instead. I think it's cool since I like watching them and find interesting how they are constructed and such. But I don't wanna go off on that cause it's probably only interesting for me. ;)
So after the 3 hours and after rescheduling my appointment with Curtin FM, the local radio station, I went back home and met up with Sebastian, Anders and Priscilla. There was supposed to be a BBQ that night but since it was pouring rain all day they decided to cancel it. So Sebastian suggested to have dinner together instead. We walked to Coles and decided last minute to make Lasagne. We spent about 40 minutes in the supermarket not being able to get all the things we needed together and I had some last minute ideas as well and was running around the store like a beheaded chicken. Stores close really early here sometimes and if you don't know the supermarket well you can start panicking a little bit.
When we finally got all we needed (or so we thought) we realized that we didn't have enough minced meat. Priscilla had told us that she still had some in the freezer of which she thought would be enough for us all. Turns out it wasn't. Luckily one of Sebastian's housemates had extra meat and so we kinda stole his and made the Lasagne anyway. While it was in the oven I quickly went over to my place (1 minute away from Sebastian's) and freshened up a little bit, since we had decided to go to the Tav that night after we had had dinner. Wednesday is THE night to go out at especially when going to the Tav cause that's when they have cheap beer and such (not so good for me since I don't drink it... but whatever. Wine isn't that expensive either). So we ate the lasagne, which was pretty good. I was proud that I didn't ruin the Béchamel sauce even though I made it for the first time. The noodles were a bit uncooked but we had to take it out since the cheese had already started to burn. Funilly enough, when you melt the mozzarella (which originally tastes like Gouda) it starts tasting like the mozzarella I know. Funny country...
So after we had yummie dinner and I had about 2 glasses of my birthday red wine, we headed to the Tav. We first picked up some Canadian people down the street and then took the courtesy bus, which is a bus going around campus at night to take the students who have late night classes or who stayed at the library to study, to their student housing. The Tav wasn't too full or at least not as full as last time I was there, which was the Wednesday the week before. (OMG I've been here for 2 weeks now). They played cool house music but no one was really dancing except the people standing on the edge of the dancefloor (us) who were just goofing around. We got some drinks (I got wine) and then we met some other guys we knew (mainly Swedes) who we stood and danced with for a bit. We didn't stay too long and actually left bout 1 hour later because everyone had decided to head to the Waterford pub (across the street of my place) where Wednesdays is karaoke night.
So we walked down there and found the place not to be too crowded which was good cause I don't really like crowded places too much (I think I got that from my mom). Priscilla must feel even worse cause she's only bout 1.40 m and can't see shit except people's asses and stomaches. So we got drinks once more and went outside to one of the two terraces. At first it was kinda cool cause we met Anders (who hadn't come with us to the Tav) and some other people we knew. However, at some point my buzz started to die and I got pretty bored. I decided that I don't really like that place which is actually kinda good cause then I won't have to go there anymore. I have 9.oo classes the next day anyway. So we left at 23.50 which is about 10 minutes before the place closed (sometimes I feel like I'm back in Lufbra) and walked home together (Priscilla and me that is). Before I went to bed I watched some more Ratatouille and fell asleep pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment