Sunday, February 22, 2009

Perth... Or Is It Lufbra?


On Friday, Roman and me went into Perth to look at the city. We met at 16:00 and walked to the closest bus stop, which is about 5 minutes away. From there we took the bus number 100 which dropped us off at the stop of which the name I forgot. However, from there we got on the next train to Perth city and within 20 minute we found ourselves in the middle of the shopping mile, which also happens to be Perth city center. We got a map of the inner city and just strolled around for a bit until we got to the Swan River which goes through the whole of Perth and eventually ends in the Indian Ocean. There we took a few pictures of the skyline which was right behind us. At some point I will also go up to King's Park, which is the highest point in Perth probably also the nicest spot, from where you can take beautiful pictures of the skyline at sunset.
From the Swan River we walked back towards the inner city and through a small park, full of palm trees. I still feel like I'm on vacation cause I don't really do anything all day and there's palm trees and sun everywhere. But from Tuesday on I'll be a Curtin exchange student with no free time and lots of deadlines. Still, I will make sure that fun doesn't come short and that I will see plenty of Australia before I leave back for Europe.
Because I got hungry, we got me fish and chips (seems like it's only me who's eating all the time...) and kept walking around. We noticed that stores were still open even though most of the stores usually close around 18:00 but apparently there's nights in Perth (or every other night as we were told) when stores are open until 21:00. Of course we used the opportunity and went shopping. Roman didn't get anything but I bought 2 shirts, a cool hat and a pair of nice silver flip flops that can also be used for going out. Since it was already pretty late and our feet hurt from walking around so much we decided to go to the Ambar which a guy who worked in one of the shops told us about and which had its 8 year anniversairy that night. It was still closed when we got there but we just walked 10 meters and went into a karaoke bar next door. There we got some beer and wine and just listened to the people singing their lungs out. Roman then quickly bonded with a Dutch guy sitting next to us and who was on a business trip in Perth. Since I had been singing along with all the others, he suggested I went up there and sang. I wasn't too sure but when we started biting a pencil at some point because it wasn't sharp enough to write my name and the song on a piece of paper, I decided to make him happy and sing afterall. I chose 'Feeling Good' from Muse but it wasn't for another hour that I was called up there and sang (the guy couldn't read my handwriting and called me something else and so it took a while until I knew it was me he was shouting for).
The bar was pretty fun cause there was a lot of showcases who chose the best songs and had hilarious performances. It was also some guy's called Daniel birthday and many of the people singing dedicated their songs to him (I did too...). I think Daniel's present from his friends was two girls dressed up as police girls, who were shaking their asses into people's faces constantly and who behaved like they belonged in a strip club. For a few minutes I felt like I was back in Lufbra. -.- After about 2 hours we decided to go to the Ambar and we took the Dutch guy with us. The line was already really long and it took us 30 minutes to get to the door where the Dutch guy wasn't let in cause he was wearing shorts. He suddenly then disappeared. We thought he had gone home but he just went to get changed and we later met him back in the club.
The club was an underground cellar kinda thing which was way too packed. There was no cloakroom and to I had to hold my 2 shopping bags the entire time I was trying to dance and not being run into by other trying to get past me. I felt like I was in the way constantly. The music was cool but too electro for me and so after 1 hour I lost my interest and we decided to head home. Since the trains weren't running anymore we took a cab home which didn't cost us all too much. Roman dropped me off at my place and I went to bed pretty quickly, with my head still spinning a little.

2 comments:

  1. ok, so they don't let in a guy with shorts, but a gal with shopping bags? queer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's perth for you right there... ;)

    ReplyDelete