Friday, March 20, 2009

Handball, Presentations and Northbridge

I guess I'm at the point where writing my blog becomes somewhat of a struggle for me, hence I haven't been writing for almost 2 weeks. Or maybe for exactly 2 weeks. The problem here now is that I don't even remember all of what I did during those two weeks. However, that might also be a good thing, leaving me with not as much to write and those reading the blog with not as much to read (I've gotten complaints already).
So on Sunday two weeks ago I went to a wildlife park. Luckily Karolina had told me that there was trip organized by the uni. If she hadn't told me I wouldn't have found out about it. So I quickly went to the office and signed up, being the last person to be allowed on the bus cause the trip was full already. It only cost me 20 bucks and so on Sunday morning at 8.30 we met at the office and ticked our names, waiting to be driven to Guild house from where the big buses were supposed to start. We didn't leave uni until 9.00 o'clock, just standing around, waiting for all the other people to be driven to guild house (which is only 3 minutes away by car). One thing that made us worry was the bus driver who seemed to be drinking beer at 9.oo in the morning. Luckily he either wasn't drinking beer or he was able to contain himself, but we made it there in one piece, after a 30 minute drive. On the way there I had a nice talk with a Canadian girl called Sarah. She seems really nice and I hope to be hanging out with here at some point even though since Sunday we haven't really managed to do that.
I'm starting to blab again so here's the wildlife park in a nutshell. First thing we did when we got there is go see a 'Farm Show'. It sounded really boring and I expected to see a showe solely made for kids but it turned out to be cool. We saw a sheep being sheared, lambs being fed, cows being milked and dogs being trained. All in all it was an entertaining show. After the show (which took about 1 hours) we were allowed to go anywhere we wanted. We went to see the Wombats and other animals being held by volunteers and park rangers. We were allowed to touch some of them and sit next to them for pictures. I'm sure the majority has seen my pics on facebook already. After that, we went to the kangaroo bawn, where roos were walking, hopping and laying around freely. Most of them were actually laying cause it was so hot that day. They dug a shallow hole into the ground to get to the cooler sand (smart animals). There even were cans of food and one could take as much as wanted to feed the roos. Like any animal, roos are hoggish and so they came towards you quickly as soon as they found out you had food (so cute.. cause when you gave them your hand, they put both of their paws on it, as if they were trying to make sure you wouldn't pull away). We even saw an albino roo with a baby in its pouch. The baby didn't come out but we saw it moving in there. Kinda creepy actually. Then we walked around and saw all the other animals like tasmanian devils, owl, wallabees and more. We also pet koalas. There was about 15 sitting on logs, but most of them were asleep and you were only allowed to pet the ones that were awake. Koalas are the laziest animals in the world (even lazier than sloths) cause they sleep up to 20 hours a DAY! (well done).
After we pet the koalas it was time for lunch. They bought pizzas and subway sandwiches and even thought it seemed like it wasn't gonna be enough (we were about 70 people), it actually was and we all got bout 4 slices of pizza and one sandwich. After lunch we only had one more hour left and so we decided to go ride the camels. Now I can tell the story of how I rode a camel.. not in Jordan or Dubai or any other Arabic country... but in Australia. (it's the little things that will be remembered). We spent about 4 hours in total at the park and were brought back by 15.00 in the afternoon. Fun day.
The next week I didn't do much except for playing handball on Wednesday. Denise (the German girl who played handball in Germany for about 8 years) had arranged a 'come-and-try day' at the netball courts. Unfortunately, the gym is still being built and we will have to wait til it's done to be able to train inside. Hopefully, Denise will be able to get handball court lines drawn on the floor or else we will have to use the netball ones. Denise and I are actually gonna try to make handball more known and popular at Curtin, establishing a team and using the club for our PR project, where we will have to make a PR plan for a company or club of our choice. That's gonna be fun. I really start loving the courses here cause you just get to do much more fun stuff that is about 100 times more interesting than the shit we do at Lufbra.
So handball was fun. Not as many people showed up as expected but there were some people who've never played before and they were quite good. We just played around a bit, trying to figure out who had a feeling for the ball. It was fun but I also noticed that my stamina really is at its worst. I was thinking of joining the gym here but memberships are so fricking expensive. I guess I might start running a bit, just to stay in shape (or maybe just play handball and see what happens. Hopefully I won't get hurt).
On Thursday I had my Broadcasting presentation. Wendy (my partner) was freaking out because she had to print off some stuff last minute and she was so nervous. She is generally a very accurate person and wants to get the highest marks possible. I however am more laid back and am not aiming for 80 or 90 per cent. I think that was pissing her off a little bit. However, it went well and we ended up getting 70% on it, which I was fine with until Wendy said it was OK. That pulled me down and now I think we could have done better. Actually, tutors keep stressing that for group projects, you should get together with people who aim for the same grades as you so that no one gets disappointed or pissed off. I hope my other presentations are gonna go better. I actually already had another one for tradition of documentary which I think went really well. I will find out about my grade next week.
On Thursday nite I played handball again, this time at Murdoch university. Since we don't have our own training spot yet, we have to go to other places to play. Training was really tough for me. Ronny (a guy who has played for quite some time) was our trainer and he really shood us around the hall. I was SO dead at some point and got really frustrated cause I wasn't as good as I wanted to be. I get angry at myself easily if I loose a ball or just suck at the tasks I'm given. And with Denise trying to help me and telling me what to do I get even more pissed off, since she only seems to correct me. Then I get the feeling I suck even more. When I played handball in Germany, I was left to myself most of the time, not being able to improve. Our trainers were too young and they only paid attention to the better ones on our team, leaving those who weren't as good behind. I guess that was one reason why I quit. But playing now is just really good cause I DO love that sport a lot and when I play, doing sports is much easier for me than when I just run on the treadmill or something.
The next day I had the worst sore muscles ever. I was hardly able to move. But I think if I hadn't played on Thursday, it would have been worse. Luckily the soreness went away after just one day. On Friday night we went out to Northbridge. We were about 15 people in 4 cabs, meeting even more people we knew at the clubs. We did some pre drinking at Björn's and Glenn's place, and taking off to Northbridge at about 23.00 o'clock. The first club we went to was called 'The Deen'. It was cool but not too full. I actually liked that cause I hate when you can't move around the club or dancefloor properly, constantly bumping into people. We stayed there for about 2 hours, but then decided to go somewhere else. Most of the people we came with left early, but Sebastian and I didn't wanna go home yet and so we stayed for a couple of more hours. We met some other French and Mauritian guys we went with. We tried to get into some awesome place but couldn't since they wanted TWO forms of ID which pissed me off cause I only had my passport with me. But then we went to a place called Mustang. We only stayed there for bout 20 minutes cause they closed shortly after we got there. We then decided to go to a place called 'The Library'. It was cool cause they played the kind of music I like (mainly House... Northbridge generally is a good place for that music). There were actual books on the walls, making the place look like an old English library. However, after another hour in there we decided to take cabs home. I fell into bed at 5.30.
The following weekend I did nothing except for preparing my next presentation a bit. The on Monday I met up with Matt and Sophie, discussing how we should do all our stuff. I think Matt was pissed off cause I hadn't done much for it yet. He really wanted to get a very high mark. When we met up again on Wednesday, to do some last minute organization he seemed very nervous that I still didn't have all my shit together. However, the presentation turned out to be fine and Dick (our tutor) really seemed to like it. Also the class graded us well. For Documentary, students are also allowed to grade you, which is very good cause then it doesn't all depend on the tutor. I'm guessing we will get an 80% or something around that.
On Wednesday night I decided to go out and celebrate my well done presentation on Triumph of the Will (the Nazi propaganda movie from 1935). This time I didn't care that I had a 9.00 o'clock lecture the next morning and just wanted to have some fun (oh oh... I think my dad won't be too pleased with what I'm writing here). However, before I was able to go out, I had to wait for the flat meeting. Apparently, it was important. My flat didn't think so though, and in the end it was only Alex and me who showed up for it. They only told us about things that were happening, fire drills and security issues. There have been quite a few aboriginal attacks around and ON campus. It's usually younger guys in groups that ambush you out of nowhere, taking your money and beating you up. We learned that we are allowed to hit back but only with the same amount of force that they use as well. So if he beat me with his fists, I could only use my fists. But if he used his fists and I used a stick or metal pipe to defend myself, I could get into trouble. Also, pepper spray is illegal around here... That meeting REALLY worried me and pissed me off about the kinda regulations they have on those issues here. RIDICULOUS!
After the very useless but scary meeting, Sebastian came over and we had a funny conversation about all kindy of things with Alex. He really is a cool guy and I hope I will be able to go on a road trip with him during my easter break. He told me that he really wanted to do something but hadn't found people yet. And since he is only 20 he's not allowed to rent a car. I hope we can figure something out and really go on that road trip. Anyway, we just hung out here and had some fun talking. At 23.00 it was too late to go to the TAV so we decided to just go to Waterford for an hour (yes, it closed at 24.00 already... bullshit if you ask me). Waterford was fun this time. I guess my alcohol level made it more bearable . We had fun but I think 1 hour was about enough. We went home after that and even though I still wanted to do something, I ended up going to bed quickly.

OK, OK... I know that this entry got very long again but if you read this, I guess you also read the rest. HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment