Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Rest Of The Week... In Another 20 Minutes

Thursday morning I had to get up early again to go to class at 9.00 o'clock. This time I sat next to Denise during the PR tutorial which was good cause I had someone to talk to. We went over some job ads, trying to find the perfect PR job. The only one I found interesting was the one for Google. Especially since a girl had told us that Google has the most awesome offices with giant bean bags and a letter shoot through the entire building. But I don't wanna go into PR anyway so I couldn't really be bothered. Then we got into groups for our tutorial presentations. Denise and me joined with some other girl whose name I forgot. Our task is to find an organization or company for which we have to write a PR program. Since Denise and I are both into Handball we decided it would be a nice project to pick. Especially cause not many people around here know it. The other girl said she would be fine with us doing handball but Denise and I could both feel that she didn't really like it. By the end of the class Denise and I decided to go to the tutor and ask her to put the girl into another group since there was another guy in the class who was into handball but who hadn't been there that morning. I hope it's all gonna work out cause I don't wanna seem like a bitch kicking that girl out of our group.
After the tutorial I was really hungry so Denise and I decided to go have breakfast at the cafe next to our next lecture building. She got a croissant and I got very yummy scrambled eggs on toast with bacon and a slice of grilled tomato. That was awesome and I am sure I will have that breakfast every Thursday from now own. Even though I should probably start saving some money. After the breakfast and a nice talk about this and that, we went to the lecture where two alumni from Curtin told us about their job as PR people for Curtin. It was quite interesting especially cause the girls were only a few years older than me. However, one of the girls wasn't a good presenter at all and I was very close to counting all the UHMs she used about every other sentence. After the lecture, we went to the lab to print out some stuff and send out some emails. I learned out to recharge my printing card and that the printers here are fricking fast, since they're laser and not ink printers. However, one page costs 11 cents, which is pretty expensive and so my credit was used up quickly. My next lecture wasn't for another hour but Denise had to go so we went to the cafe again to get her a coffee and a muffin for me. There we saw the girl working again, who Denise had suspected to be German. Her name was Janne and so I asked her where her name was from. She replied that it was Scandinavian but answered the question if she was Scandinavian as well with no. Turns out, she really was German. She told us that she was in Perth for work and travel and that she had been working in the cafe for 9 months now but would soon quit and go somewhere else, trying to get a permanent resident VISA. She was from Flensburg where she had done her bachelor's degree and apparently liked it here so much that she wanted to stay. I hope I will see her again cause she seemed like a cool girl.
After Denise left I sat down outside the cafe for a bit and read my report for the presentation I had to prepare. About 45 minutes later I went to my next class with was also my last for that day. Introduction to Broadcast was pretty interesting this time cause we discussed some things that I had to say some stuff to as well. We outlined where news stories come from, who makes them and how they are constructed if presented on the radio. Throughout the semester we will have to write 4 news scripts for radio presenters in which we have to write a news story in 90 words only, about 3 words per second. I think finding a story is gonna be harder than writing it cause it will have to be one that is worthy going on real radio news and it cannot be made up or anything. We also will have regular news quizzes involving local Perth, as well as National, International, Sports and Business news. From now on I will have to read the papers every day, memorizing all the stuff that happened in a week. The quizzes only have 10 questions, which I find ridiculous cause you really don't know what he's going to ask. They are worth 20% of the mark so I should be able to bump up my other grades with them if I get them right. Shouldn't be too hard though.
After the lecture Wendy and me asked our tutor some questions about the presentation making sure that we understood it all correctly. The presentation is worth 15% and if we nail it we can get an easy mark, especially since our tutor said that his class wasn't too tough. After that I think I went home and didn't do much for the rest of the day. I can't actually remember what I did which is kinda bad. I think I just went shopping at coles and got some mozzarella and basil to make the most delicious tomato-mozzarella salad ever. I finally found some good mozzarella cheese which also tasted like mozzarella. After my dinner I pretty much just watched Scrubs and went to bed. Or at least I think that's what I did.... I'm getting old. Terrible!
On Friday I got up at 11.00 and got ready for class, which I thought was at 12.00. However, when I got to the lecture theater and saw it packed of concentrated students, I still walked in and sat down but after I looked at my schedule I realized that the lecture at started at 11.00 and so I had missed 1 whole hour of it. I think I blushed a little when it finally clicked in my head. Nevertheless, I stayed til the end but it only lasted for another 20 minutes. So I went home again and decided spontaneously to go to the carousel mall on my own. So I looked up when the bus came and walked to the bus stop. The bus ride there actually took pretty long and the bus driver even scolded me for having my arm hanging out the window which was only my elbow really. When I got to the mall it was already 15.30 and I thought I had time to stroll around and go from shop to shop since I had seen online that the mall was supposed to be open until 21.00 that day. I went into a couple of stores I hadn't been in the last time I went with Sebastian (the mall is actually pretty big and so I hadn't seen all of it yet) but I didn't find what I liked. Then I went into Jay Jay's and ended up buying 4 shirts and a tank top for 32 Euros. I LOVE the exchange rate!!!
I walked around a little more and came across a pet shop where they had dogs sitting in the windows. They were SO cute and it was really sad to see the little space they only had to move around in. I wish I could have taken them all home right there and then. I am SO getting a dog when I love on my own! They also had bunnies, mice, rats, fish, kitties and parrots. i had to leave soon or else I would have cried seeing the animals all stuffed into their little cages. On my way back to the food court I noticed that stores started to close down. Apparently I misread the opening times but at least it got something out of it. So I walked back outside to the bus station and saw my bus driving away in front of my nose. When I read the bus schedule I noticed that it was the last bus and so I panicked a little bit not knowing how to get home. Then I remembered what Sebastian had told me about taking another bus to Curtin but walking across campus. So I took bus 72 and luckily got off the right stop which was on the other end of campus. I walked home and was proud that I had made it home alone. I guess those days are the best way to find alternatives.
When I got home I was going to make Spaghetti Bolognese and I was really looking forward to it. I was just checking my email when Chloe walked past my window and I invited her in. As she sat on my bed I got a text from Ram asking me if I wanted a ticket for the sold out beach bash that everyone was gonna go to that night. I said yes and got ready excitedly, cooking a quick dinner while I was putting on my makeup. The more my dinner cooked, the more my kitchen filled with Asians. Apparently my roomie was having a dinner party and had invited about 20 of her Asians friends. I got kind of annoyed cause they were just standing in my way, using my cutting board and stuff. However, I still managed to make my dinner and kinda gobbled it down. As soon as I was finished I get a text form Ram suddenly telling me that I couldn't go after all cause his friend who had wanted to give up his ticket suddenly changed his mind, leaving me without the chance to go. Even though Ram was really sorry and also offered me his ticket, I declined and just stayed in my room pissed.
After complaining to Chloe about Ram's assy behavior, she suggested to get something to drink and go play some pool in the common room. I agreed and so we went to get some white wine from the bottle shop. We played three rounds and I was amazed at how well I played. I don't know if it was the wine of the balls cause the first two times I played the full ones and I ruled but as soon as I played the halves I sucked. I don't even know who won cause a couple of times we got the black ball in without calling the pocket first, or someone else got it in. It was fun though. After the games we went outside and just walked around randomly not knowing what to do. On the way back to our rooms we walked past Björn's and Glen's (two Norwegians) place who invited us to sit with them. Both of the Emanuels, Anders, Sonja (a girl from Mauritius), Gaelle and the Russian (apparently Gaelle's boyfriend) were there too and Emanuel was just cooking dinner for all of them: Spaghetti Bolognese. We sat down and had a talk about this and that. Don't even really remember about what but it was pretty funny. For some reason Chloe then decided to get the book that I had taken out from the common room but had decided that it was absolute crap and leaving it on the garbage cans. It was called 1001 cool jokes. I don't know who had decided that those jokes were cool (I'm guessing it was the author) but they were actually utter bullshit. I admit that some of them were funny but the majority was just stupid and senseless, half of them being Knock Knock jokes.
So people started reading out some jokes, actually getting some laughter out of us. The funniest thing however was hearing Sonja laugh. She loved the book and thought it to be so hilarious that she was laughing constantly. The rest of the night was just as collection of Knock Knock jokes and made up Knock Knock jokes about sea weed and such. At some point I got so annoyed that I threw the book in the bushes, leaving Sonja kinda sad. She swore that she was gonna get the book back and even tried to bribe me with a pancake she had made to make me get it. I tried but it was so far in the bushes that I couldn't even see it. I hope it stays there too even though the pancake was delicious enough to make me feel bad that I had thrown it away. At about 1.00 everyone got tired and so we split up. I was pretty beat so I watched a little bit of Iron Man and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment